Travelin' Tales

I just got back from about a month on the road. Saw a lot of interesting things and, as always, was left with a sense of awe about just how big the United States is. And how much undeveloped land there still is. Other than in Texas, most of those are public lands. People everywhere are nice and helpful. I've pretty much always found if I run into problems in my travels that I can rely on the kindness of strangers. So in many ways, traveling restores my faith in human nature.

I met any number of people who are "permanent" RVers. And I spent some time thinking about how I'd like that. I've always been quite the homebody and I decided I really need roots. So, while I enjoy seeing new things, I also really like having a home to come back to. We were gone long enough that even the dogs seemed grateful to come home.

I had a lot of fun at the conference in San Antonio. Met some great people there. Authors and publishers alike. There's nothing like meeting someone face to face in this e-age. I think it makes a difference. My workshop on Mythology and Modern Storytelling reminded me how much I enjoy teaching. It's good to have a lot of interests. (Note to self: do not add any more. I don't have any time as it is.)

I did a bunch of touristy things. Visited Mesa Verde and Carlsbad Caverns and Sonora Caves and Fort Bowie. Climbed Guadalupe Peak in northern Texas. Skiied at a couple of new places. Went through three time zones. For a while, if it weren't for the iPhone, I wouldn't have been able to figure out what time it actually was since Daylight Savings Time kicked in while I was gone. Not sure that the time really matters much, but when you've told someone you'll be somewhere, it's poor form to show up an hour early--or late.

The next long, away from home trip will be in late May. Between now and then, I hope to do some backcountry skiing. The snow cover here in the Sierra is still pretty thin, but we shall see. Tried skiing yesterday afternoon and the snow had turned to mushy pea soup from sixty degree temperatures.

What are some of your favorite places to visit? What was it about them that made them stick in your memory?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. @Best Replica Watches
      Yes, I enjoy travel. But I worry about its impact on our environment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts